When is it necessary to take supplements? We will give you the answer.
– Do you eat a versatile Norwegian diet, you do not basically need supplements, says nutrition biologist Lise von Krogh.
However, there are some situations where you may need additional grants.
Girls who bleed a lot during menstrual periods may need iron supplementation.
Then you need to check the iron values of the blood at your doctor before starting with iron tablets. Some women must take iron on a regular basis, taking care to eat ironically, says von Krogh.
Some people end up on different reasons for drinking milk.
– If you do not eat any cheese or take a supplement, you must include other calcium-rich foods in your diet. Dairy products are the most important calcium sources we have, says von Krogh.
You can use calcium-rich soy milk, or eat figs, nuts, seeds, and green leaves and vegetables. Still, it will be a little difficult to get enough, she claims.
– Then you can consider a calcium supplement. Until the age of 25, the skeleton is built up before the skeleton gradually loses itself. Because calcium is very large, you will never get enough calcium into a tablet that contains other vitamins and minerals as well.. Therefore, you need your own calcium product. The calcium supplements you usually have is around 500 mg per day dose, says the nutritionist.
Exercise and Nutrition
– What if you exercise a lot?
– There is no indication that people who exercise a lot need dietary supplements, as long as you get the energy you need and usually eat healthy. But if you eat very little food, for example, it’s hard to get enough vitamins and minerals. Then it’s worth taking a multivitamin and mineral supplement. But this is a situation that is not recommended.
– What about vegans who do not want to eat fish, meat and dairy products?
The best foods
Extra light milk
Red or blue juice from grapes
Muscle and brain food
You can eat yourself
– If you choose not to eat fish, eggs, milk, meat or butter, vegans must get vitamin B12 through supplements. If you do not, you can develop megaloblastic anemia; that is, large red blood cells that do not work. You can also risk developing nerve damage, but it takes a lot longer. It usually takes up to five to seven years after you start vegan diet before emptying the B12 layers in your body. There is no crisis if you only eat plant food for a year’s time. On the other hand, if you choose to make it a lifestyle, you must take B12 grants.
The Norwegian Vitamin D Winter
When we expose ourselves to sun, vitamin D is formed in our skin. In Norway, the sun is so low in winter that no vitamin D is formed in the skin.
Vitamin D is very important because it helps the body to absorb calcium from the intestine and thus important to the skeleton.
– If you do not eat fish and do not take a cure, you should take a vitamin D vitamin supplement or a pure vitamin D supplement. The only sources of vitamin D in our diet are oily fish, extra light milk that is supplemented with vitamin D and butter and margarine. There is also a little vitamin D in egg yolks.
– Do you have to take a vitamin D supplement at the same time as calcium?
– No, it can be taken separately. The most important thing is to ensure a steady supply of vitamin, so that you have a vitamin D stock.
Why do we have such high incidence of osteoporosis in Norway, despite being one of the countries where it consumes most dairy products?
Lise says there are many factors that help us to have a high rate of bone loss in Norway and that we do not know the cause a hundred percent.
– Maybe we have a genetic composition that gives us increased risk. The average age is high and the intake of vitamin A in our diet may seem to be a bit too high, which may increase the risk of bone loss. And we have long winters where we get some vitamin D from the sun.
Folate when you are pregnant
If you are trying to get pregnant, you should think about having an adequate intake of B vitamin folate (also called folic acid in supplements), which can be difficult to get through the diet.
– For women planning to become pregnant, Norwegian authorities recommend taking 400 μg (microgram) folic acid tablets. Multivitamins contain up to 300 μg. If you do not directly plan to become pregnant, but at risk you should be aware of your diet and eat folkloric food. That is, green leafy vegetables, asparagus, liver, beans and lentils, as well as liver poultry, orange juice and citrus fruit.
If you have too little folate in your diet, there is a greater risk that your baby will get so-called neural tube defects, that is, spinal cord, brain broken or missing brain.
– Only a spinal cord can survive. In the other two cases, the child dies in maternal life or after childbirth. It is seen that women with very low folate levels have an increased risk of spontaneous abortion and low birth weight on their children.
Therefore, pregnant women should take folate
If you do not eat vegetables, fruits, berries and juices and eat a lot of ready-made food and junk food, you’re probably not getting enough vitamin C.
– Then you should do something about your diet, or start taking vitamin C supplements. But with such a diet, there will nevertheless be so many weaknesses that you should regain your diet. Vitamin C deficiency is usually not a problem in Norway.
Rather than protein shake
If you eat low protein foods like fish, meat and eggs, you probably get too little protein. Then you can consider a protein supplement. But Lise would rather recommend getting more protein in their diet.
– You also find quality protein in dairy products. It’s important to make sure you get enough protein while exercising, but on the other hand, do not overdo the protein intake and run out of protein shakes and powder. It is generally quite meaningless. Eat an egg and drink some light milk for breakfast, have some meat on a slice of bread, eat bread, and have the chicken fillet or fish fillet for dinner. Then you get the protein you need.
– How much protein per kilogram does body weight per day need those who practice three to four times a week?
– A gram is usually enough. Athletes need a little more, but if you are regular exercise is one gram sufficient.
How to eat yourself
Muscle and brain food
Food supplements for children
Read more at: