Diseases

This Christmas dinner can be dangerous after several hours on the lunch table

Food poisoning of Christmas food

This Christmas dinner can be dangerous after several hours on the lunch table

This Christmas dinner can be dangerous after several hours on the lunch table. With long breakfasts, brunch and lunches, the Christmas dinner is often left outside at room temperature for a long time.

For some foods, this goes well, but it is far from everyone.

Some products should be re-inserted into the refrigerator quite quickly if you want to avoid getting poisoned during the holidays.

Durable Christmas Food

– Generally, products that have been heat-treated, as well as acidic and sweet products are very durable at room temperature. It can be, for example, herring products, jam, mustard sauce, beetroot and sour cucumbers, says university lecturer at the Department of Food Technology at NTNU, Hanne Karlsen.

Also, hard cheeses like edams, most types of sausages and leftovers of ribs and beef meat will last even if breakfast lasts a long time.

– On the other hand, products that are not heat-treated or have only received a little heat treatment will be worse. Smoked salmon, gravlaks, cold cuts, scrambled eggs, waldorfsalat and other salad salads should therefore not be left for a long time, and neither should pate and liverpost that are not in canned food, she says..

Not the same package

If you want to avoid sickness in Christmas, Karlsen recommends only producing as much food as you think is being eaten during the meal.

Tips to avoid getting sick of christmas food

  • Do not take all food at once. For example, put meat stew and smoked salmon back in the fridge as people finish it and take the cheese out for a while.
  • Check outdoor temperature and weather forecast. If there’s no room for everything in the fridge, keep well-baked food out if the temperature is below five degrees.
  • Be careful to freeze leftovers. The week after the New Year may be nice to have some finished dinners
  • Throw food that is moldy
  • Have good hygiene for home cooking
  • Refresh the food quickly after cooking. Make sure the coolant temperature is max 4 degrees
  • Make sure that all kinds of meatballs and sausages are completely cooked or cooked
  • Remember to keep the porridge you are going to use for risk of chills
  • Remember that some groups of people get sicker if they get dangerous bacteria from food. These are the over 70 people with impaired immune system, young children and pregnant women
  • Do not mix fresh cold cuts with bacon, as the bacon’s natural bacteria can be transferred to the meat to make it more sour
  • Skill between raw foods and foods that are boiled or roasted in both cutlery, knives and hands
  • Wash your hands before cooking while cooking and before eating

Sources:

Solveig Langsrud Nofima and Hanne Karlsen at NTNU

– It’s better to pick up more in the kitchen than to put what has left the whole breakfast back in the fridge, she says.

Remains should also be packed and not put back in the pack together with food that has remained cool all the time.

Good bacterial growth

– If the food is on the table for a long time, there may be a rise of dangerous bacteria. Some bacteria can cause vomiting and diarrhea to pass quite quickly, but rarely, bacteria in food can cause fatal illness, “says Solveig Langsrud.

She is a researcher at Nofima.

When the food is on the rise, the temperature will provide perfect conditions for the good growth of a variety of bacteria.

Most of them are harmless, such as lactic acid bacteria that make the food mad, but you never know what bacteria grow up..

– To smell and taste the food you are in doubt is useful to find out if the food tastes good, but it is not suitable to say if the food is safe to eat. The reason is that there are bacteria that make you sick even in low numbers, and bacteria that are dangerous without making any bad smell or taste, she says.

Harskner faster

When the food is on the rise, it can further give birth to mold.

– Some mold may form carcinogens, and others can form antibiotics that hit allergy sufferers, “says Langsrud..

The quality of food becomes less at room temperature, and most bacteria grow better at room temperature than with cooling.

– Some types of food have too little water, too much sugar or too much salt for bacterial growth, but while they stay well at room temperature when we think of safety, the dining quality can help keep cool, “she says..

For example, mediterbiscuits, bacon and smoked salmon will rinse faster at room temperature and if you have mildew on the table, it will spread its mold spores to all the other foods.

– Mug from mildew is not dangerous, but most do not want the same mildew on ham as on brien, she says.

Fast cooling

To prevent food souring or, at worst, leads to food poisoning, quick cooling is alfa and omega.

Food that stays long on the table

  • Candy
  • Flatbrød
  • Biscuit
  • Nuts
  • Candy
  • Bread
  • Sauerkraut
  • Suragurk
  • Beet
  • chutney
  • Nugatti
  • Cured sausage
  • Fast Cheeses
  • Honey
  • Whole fruit
  • Vegetables like tomatoes

Food spoiled quickly at room temperature

  • Smoked salmon
  • gravlax
  • Meats
  • Rakfisk
  • Rice cream
  • Divided fruit and vegetables

– It is important that hot food is cooled down as quickly as possible, but the refrigerator is not a suitable place for cooling down. Food that is not cold should not be packed before it is placed in the refrigerator. Wait until the product is completely cold, “says Karlsen.

Also, remember that the fuller the fridge is, the more important it is that the food being fed is not too hot.

– If the rib is still hot, it can stand on the kitchen counter for an hour until it is room tempered. Then put it in the refrigerator for further cooling for another hour. If it’s cold outside, you can also put the food out on the porch covered, but not wrapped, she says.

Pack in

When you are pretty sure that the rib is cold, wrap it in foil.

It will last for many days in a refrigerator.

– Medisters and sausages are cooled down faster. Allow them to come to room temperature before placing them over a dish and continue cooling in the refrigerator. Then pack them in foil or plastic bag, then they will stay for several days, “says Karlsen.

If you have leftovers of the Christmas cream, cool this best by putting the pudding in cold water and stirring regularly until the porridge is cold.

– Then you can put it in a box and put it in the fridge, she says.

Mental Illness or Food Poisoning?

If you get sick at Christmas, it may be hard to know if there is food poisoning or common eating sickness, but there are some differences between the two diseases.

– Food poisoning is caused by toxins or toxins from disease-causing bacteria or viruses that are in the food. However, when you get sick, you will most often be exposed to drops from sickness or contact and not through food, “says Solveig Jore at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health..

Dangerous fluid loss

Symptoms of heartburn are usually vomiting followed by diarrhea, although it is not always you get both symptoms.

The disease period is often terminated with some fever.

In most people, the peril will go over by itself within a few days, but for small children and older people the disease can be dangerous.

– The less the child is, the less should be before contacting a doctor. Small children under two years are very vulnerable to fluid loss due to vomiting and diarrhea, says Jore.

May be dangerous

– When you get food poisoning, the symptoms vary depending on which bacterium, virus or toxin is the cause. However, it is common to become nauseous, toss up, stomach ache, diarrhea and occasionally fever. As a rule, food poisoning will pass over one to three days, she says.

Studies show that every other Norwegian has had vomiting or diarrhea over a year, but estimates show that only around one in five have been poisoned with food.

– How dangerous food poisoning will depend on what you are infected with – which bacterium or any virus or toxin. The most serious food poisoning is botulism, due to a toxin that attacks the nervous system with paralysis as a result, she says.

Do you want our best cases by email? Sign up for our newsletter here.

Would you rather follow us on Facebook? Like us, well!

.

Tags

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker