It is impossible to prevent body parts from falling asleep
– Pain can last for three years
– It is relatively common to experience that a leg or arm may fall asleep. This usually occurs as a consequence of the fact that for a prolonged period of time, this body part has been depressed and that a nerve clamp has thus occurred, says physiotherapist at the OK clinic, Christoffer L. Hovland.
– When a leg or arm falls asleep, it is caused by pressure on a particular nerve. This can happen, for example, if you sit with your legs for a while or get inside the elbow, “says Vibeke Koren..
She is an osteopath and sports physiotherapist at Stavanger Idrettsklinikk AS.
The choir says that this actually requires very little pressure before the body part doves off and you feel like it is sleeping.
Nerves in clip
When this occurs, the pressure on the nerve reduces nerve signals between the body and the brain.
Wounded in the wrist?
Check if you do it right
– The body part, therefore, does not get enough signals from the brain to have full sense of feeling and feeling, says Koren.
She adds that some nerves are more prone to pressure and are squeezed off, the area like the nerve will provide lazy or fallen sleep.
– Many think this phenomenon is due to poor blood circulation in the arm or leg, but this does not matter, she says.
Usually when you sleep
It is most common to experience this when you wake up after sleeping, but it may also be in awkward condition when you sit on a couch or sit in a certain position.
Hovland confirms that this happens because the nerves of the sleeping body part are exposed to pressure so that it can not lead nerve signals.
– We have different nerve fibers that lead signals to and from the brain, and these are responsible for sensibility or emotion and movement, “he says..
Can not be prevented
When your nerves are compressed, you will both feel unable to move the body part and lose your feeling because the motor and sensory nerves do not get their signals signaled.
This may feel a bit disgusting and unpleasant, but unfortunately it’s impossible to prevent it from happening at all.
– Of course, it’s hard to prevent body parts from falling asleep when you sleep. People who get this frequently in a wakeful state, however, probably have muscle and bone structure that squeezes the nervous structure due to tension or malfunction, says Hovland.
If this is the case, he recommends that you let out at a therapist with good competence on the muscle skeletal system.
Fortunately, the phenomenon is transient.
– When the pressure on the nerve is gone, the feeling will gradually return. Often it starts with stabbing and stabbing, “says Koren.
To get rid of the doving, it is therefore best to move the arm or leg so that the pressure on the nerve moves, micro circulation around the nerve is getting up and the nerve signals start to work as normal.
The fact that the leg or arm is sleeping is harmless in short periods, but a prolonged and severe pressure can damage the nerve, says Koren.
Shake your leg
Hovland confirms that placing the body part in a position where it is not exposed to pressure is the only way you can wake it up.
– For example, you can change position or loosen the shoe, he says.
It can also help to move, so try to walk around or shake your sleeping body.
– If the entire leg has fallen asleep, it may be a little difficult to go. However, it is not directly dangerous to go on a sleeping leg, but it may have indirect consequences such as a fall, he says.