There is good help to get, even self-help.
Social anxiety (also referred to as social phobia) is a common mental disorder that involves excessive anxiety for the eyes of others and the presence of others..
The ability to stumble out, get embarrassed or criticized becomes so overwhelming that all efforts are put in place to avoid this.
Social anxiety is therefore a mental disorder that is destructive to daily life, on social relationships, which results in a diminished quality of life. In addition, social anxiety can increase the chances of having other mental disorders, such as depression or addiction.
But how can I know if I or I know so much fear that I or him should apply for treatment? One can approach this question in two ways.
Good help for social anxiety
According to professionals Click Health has been in contact with it, it is important to emphasize that anxiety disorders, which include social anxiety, are something that can be treated. The prognosis in relation to treatment is often good. When learning to master anxiety it is crucial to understand the fear.
– There is good help for social anxiety and it is important to seek help if you are afraid of fear. It is especially individual therapy that is recommended in social anxiety, and cognitive behavioral therapy has been shown to have a good effect, extends psychologist Ove Heradstveit, head of relief aid. no.
People who do not want to go to therapy can benefit from self-help based on cognitive behavioral therapy.
– Sometimes you need expert guidance in the form of psychological help, but in many cases it may be sufficient to get information about what you can do yourself – you are in self-help. Within the self-help literature for the treatment of anxiety disorders, most books are based on cognitive therapy, psychologist Sverre Urnes Johnson confirms at Angstavdelingen, Modum Bad.
There are certain criteria for obtaining psychological assistance from the public, but the only criterion for contacting a psychologist is that you have something you want to work with.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
How to get good self-esteem
Cognitive Therapy is a broad term that covers a variety of different directions. However, directions within cognitive therapy have something common in the form of a strong desire to give people who struggle tools to master their own lives.
Self-help is in principle about getting tools to help themselves out of something difficult. In this way, self-help is something we are all doing all the time, and is about developing the report to regulate our own feelings, “continues Urnes Johnson.
We know, for example, that there are some processes that maintain an anxiety disorder, some of the most important is evasion. That is, avoiding situations that are perceived as unpleasant.
– Cognitive behavioral therapy is about learning techniques to recognize thoughts and feelings, finding more helpful thinking patterns, and breaking the fear by actively daring to do what was previously avoided. A mantra in relation to working out of social anxiety is: It’s not as dangerous as I think! And: I’m taking the chance to try !, says Heradstveit.
Anxiety is not dangerous
– The main message should nevertheless be that fear is not dangerous, you do not need any special techniques to get through it. It is therefore more appropriate to refer to, for example, the e-mastering program in Bergen, or to self-help literature recommended by Berge and Repål, emphasizes U. Johnson.
You can help yourself out of fear
Anxiety can be compared to what happens when you try to fall too hard. Everyone has felt stressed that the sleep is missing, and have experienced that the more you get up – the more you think, “Now I have to sleep soon” – the more likely it is that you do not get it. That’s how it’s with fear too.
The more you try to make sure you do not get anxiety, the more likely it is to come. In this way it is not necessarily that self-help techniques are some magic cure for getting rid of social anxiety.
– For many, using self-help methods can only be another way of avoiding any sense of anxiety, and the more you try to control your anxiety, the worse it will be. Used correctly, however, there are many examples that self-help techniques can help to overcome social anxiety, concludes Heradstveit.
Two issues of anxiety disorders
– The first question I would ask myself if I’m afraid of fear is; What am I afraid of? What am I avoiding ?, u advise. Johnson.
In most cases, managing anxiety will cause you to be exposed to something difficult and thus gain new experience. However, it requires that he has a fairly clear idea of what the problem is.
The signs that you need a psychologist
– The second question is what one has usually done to get through that which is difficult. What strategies have been used to master what is experienced as difficult, continues U. Johnson.
However, it is not the case that exposing yourself to what is afraid forever leads to, and in many cases it will require much courage. Often you may need support in the form of relatives or others.
If you are exposed to something that is uncomfortable, but doing it incorrectly, that is, using many of the old strategies that you have previously used will in the worst case enhance the fear and fear and lead to escalation.
Six self-help in social anxiety
1. One of the most effective is to work out to consider your own thoughts and interpretations when you know that the fear comes.
An example is when a friend walks past you without saying hello. A person with anxiety may interpret this as a personal rejection, but the situation could be interpreted as well as your friend simply did not notice you. Often, we only know the wounded feelings, but without looking at the connection with what we have thought. As we train to look for such relationships, we can eventually find that many of the difficult feelings changed in what we interpreted the situation in a more “helpful” way.
2. Another technique that is widely used in cognitive therapy, and which can be used as self-help, is what we call exposure. That is, dare to approach the creepy situations, which we would rather just want to avoid. An illustrative example may be when your child has water damage. Then it does not help throwing the child out of the pool. This will only hurt worse. On the contrary, one must gradually make the child to be in the water by taking small steps and giving it a lot of support and encouragement on the road.
3. That’s how it’s also when we’re going to challenge the social anxiety. If we do not challenge ourselves, but still avoiding what we fear, the fear will of course not be better. But we must take small steps and encourage ourselves on the road. One can create a list of situations that create anxiety, and to make a step-step model, starting with the lightest first.
4. Examples of what you can work out are eating out with a close friend, starting conversations, reading the newspaper to find themes for a call, asking for a shop assistant, or joining a support group.
Therefore, do things you do not like
5. Having someone who can support you in this work, and which you can think of highly, will make it much easier. For those who are very bothered by social anxiety, it will usually be recommended to seek professional help, as challenging the anxiety may feel prohibitive. Should you have experience having tried self-help methods but feel that it does not work, there is another reason that you should also apply for therapy.
6. Whatever you choose, it may be useful to read the book “Narrow rooms and open spaces of psychologists Berge and Repål,” which provides a great description of anxiety, different forms of treatment, and about good self-help methods that you can try out.
(Source: Psychologist Ove Heradstveit, Helper assistance. no)
21 signs of anxiety
– I have not had sex for 20 years
10 tips that teach you how to chat
Test Yourself: Do you have an alcohol problem?
Join the job? DO NOT DO THIS