Signs of depression in children and adolescents
– I lived with the feeling that every day was the last and thought it was common
Adolescents are migratory hormone volunteers that can bubble over when you least expect it. If the outbreaks occur more often than before or not, you as a parent must dare to approach you: Your child may suffer from a depression.
Depression can hit everyone
– Depression is a mental disorder that can affect people of all ages. Everyone can have heavy days, but depression is more than this. It is more like a disturbance in the brain that helps to color how we perceive and interpret the world around us in a way that does not coincide with how the brain interprets experiences when not depressed, says psychologist at child and youth mental health care (BUP ) at the clinic of Lower Roman Empire, Christin Weiss.
Weiss means we talk more often about depression in the adult part of the population than in the young.
– The reason for it is enough that children and young people have more sliding transitions in their emotional life. They are more flexible and are easier to come in and out of feelings, even the difficult ones. It can make it difficult for parents to decide if the child is depressed or if they are in a phase that is difficult, she says.
This test can show you if you may have a depression.
Frequent fluctuations among youth school children
– If a young person suffers from depression, you can see this by observing change in behavior. It is common for them to isolate themselves from social situations, sleep poorly, complain of pain in the head and stomach and have a bad appetite. Mulled voice over a long period of time, where nothing seems to get the mood up can also be a danger sign that the child suffers from depression, says the health sister at Frydenberg Youth School and the Youth Center at Grünerløkka, Brit Skillebekk.
– Social phobia is no trivial disease. Too many are invalidating
Skillebekk further states that if you scale the degree of depression from 1 to 10 she sees a few cases under five on the scale among young people.
– It is common for mood and mood to vary between being a bit depleted and happy. Among youth college students, the fluctuations are more frequent than among high school students. Depression among the elderly youth has usually developed over time, and then it can quickly hit the center of the scale, she says.
Important to seek help
– There is no fixed rule for how a depression begins in children and adolescents. A depression can express itself in a wide variety of ways, such as lack of weight gain in smaller children or schooling, says head of the General Public Health Association, Kari Sollien.
The psychologist says that if the duration of symptoms of sadness, drowsiness and social withdrawal is more than two weeks, you may be depressed.
Then it’s important to seek help, whether talking to mom and dad as a first step, or health sister.
– As a parent, it can be a lot of help in acknowledging that the depression is a fact, and not least hearing what the child thinks about the situation. If parents see that they do not reach the child and do not even help it out that the difficult mindset is the most important help they can help just seek professional help, says Skillebekk.
Weiss emphasizes how important it is to talk together.
– Children and young people can strive to put words on and show their feelings. If you notice that your child is different, try to get in touch with your child first and foremost. Have the child know that you are there and that you have understood that something is wrong. Provide a clear signal that you are keen to listen and try to listen to the child without getting lots of advice. Comfort is ok, but the last thing they need to hear is “just thinking about it” or “do not think about it,” says Weiss..
“Do not Think of a Pink Elephant”
– Many parents find it hard to hear that the child has the search and needs to “get it away” so the feeling (in themselves) goes away. It’s understandable, but a little helpfull for the child, “said Weiss.
The signs of the three most common personality disorders
– As a mother and father you can even try and do not think about anything. For the sake of experiment, try this one: “Do not think of a pink elephant,” and try as hard as you can, and do not think about the elephant for ten seconds. Please take the time. But the outcome gives itself. Such comments, although they are in the best sense, can help to increase the difficulties. Also, make sure your child understands that there is help getting and that you can not bear the heavy and difficult traveler, she says.
If you find it difficult to talk to your child about mental problems, do not despair. It is quite common.
Divorce tells that young people and young adults can struggle to open up mental problems to those closest to them.
But do not give up.
Provide good sleep, exercise and good diet
You may want to contact the school and hear if teachers have observed that the child has changed. Do they have the importance of investigating whether the problem is at school or if it is at home.
There is usually nothing wrong with the teenager, even though he is tired, tired, angry and tired.
– Try to hit the child by facilitating good sleep, exercise and a good diet. Also move on your own things in life as a parent to get to this, if possible. Young people only have a youth, while adults have all their lives in front of us, Weiss advises.
– As a psychologist, it’s important how I react to children and adolescents. If I should be afraid of a child’s difficult thoughts, such as suicidal thoughts or the like, I send out a signal that I can not stand this – and indirectly – I can not stand. It’s the last thing I want, and the same goes for the parents, “she says.
At the same time, it is important to have two thoughts in your mind.
– Does the situation seem very serious and mom and dad feel that they are short, so you may want to seek help. It is no shame to admit, and it is nothing but to convey fear or helplessness. It imparts on the contrary force, she says.
Mental Immune System
– There are complex causes of depression, and that’s a lot we do not know, says Sollien.
– Symptoms of anxiety and depression are normal to have
Weiss agrees with Sollien that the cause of depression is complex.
– Having said that, we know something about causal relationships that may occur when children and adolescents become depressed. Certain events may seem like someone close to the door, chronic illness, home impairment, being exposed to mental or physical violence, or being in conflict with friends. Another factor that may affect is genetic vulnerability if other family members have had a depression, says Weiss.
There are many factors that may affect the child, which results in the mental immune system it does not need to relieve mental disorders such as depression, says Skillebekk.
It’s help getting
– In case of moderate to severe depression, children and young people have the right to necessary health care in the specialist health service. It does not mean that you can not get help if you are easily depressed, says Weiss.
The first-line service is the school health service at the healthcare center, health center for youth, family office, general practitioner or the like. The second line service is the specialist health service such as mental health care for children and adolescents (BUP) and outpatient services for adults at the country’s various district policlinical centers (DPS). Third-party service is highly specialized in rare conditions and offers help through competence centers at national level.
– Unfortunately, there is often waiting time in the special health service, something municipal health services rarely have. Therefore, most people are encouraged to try if the help at the municipal level may be sufficient before referring further.
If the child is under the age of 18, it is advisable to contact the health sister at school or health center for youth.
Most health centers have a free offer for young people between 13 and 23 years old. Do not forget that the doctor may also be helpful in mental health problems.
Should it prove that the child needs more intensive and long-term help, reference can be made to the specialist health service of the first-line service.
Is the child under 18 years referred to BUP and is the child over 18 years referred to DPS.
Depression is more common than you think
This is one of the most common mental disorders we have. Only anxiety disorders are more common than depression in childhood and adolescence. Up to five percent get a severe depressive disorder during adolescence while fifteen to twenty percent get significant symptoms of depression before they reach 18 years, according to the National Institute of Public Health..
Ten things destroying the night’s sleep
– Depression may occur in conjunction with other disorders such as anxiety, bipolar disorder and psychosis. It can also come as a consequence of other disorders, such as drug abuse and drugs, “explains Weiss.
Ask for help
Half of those suffering from depression have serious consequences that they do not seek or get the right help.
– Do you suspect your child is struggling with a depression, then book an appointment with a doctor or seek a healthcare sister, says Sollien.
– When a depression is mild to moderate, it is best treated with call therapy. If the depression is of moderate to severe nature, it may in some cases be necessary medication as an additional treatment for call therapy. In Norway, it is often restrictive to medicate in the treatment of depression in children and adolescents. Exercise may positively affect depressive symptoms, while abuse of drugs and alcohol can exacerbate depression symptoms, says Weiss.
Do you want our best cases by email? Sign up for our weekly newsletter here.
Would you rather follow us on Facebook? Like us, well!