Here’s a checklist to determine that your omega-3 grant is not rancid.
Preparation and risk assessment of decomposition products and oxidation products in fish oils:
– Oxidation products (resinous substances) are substances that are formed when marine fat is harming. Some of the oxidation products cause the characteristic rancid smell and flavor.
– The challenge is that the shaking process can continue after the oil is produced, ie during encapsulation, packing, transport and storage of the finished dietary supplement.
– There are very few published scientific studies that say something about the effects of harassment on human health. The few studies conducted on humans do not provide a basis for risk assessment. One of the reasons is that the studies are done with plant oils, not marine oils.
Studies on animals have shown that harry plant oils in large doses have adverse health effects.
Based on the very limited scientific information available, VKM concludes that there is some concern about the regular intake of omega-3 supplements containing rancid fish oil.
– Enclosure will camouflage rancid smell and taste. The simplest man that consumers can do to find that the oil is rancid is to break a capsule and smell and taste the content of the dietary supplement before eating it. For omega-3 supplements that are bottled, it will not be a problem to detect that the content is rancid.
– VKM therefore recommends that the levels of degradation and oxidation products found in omega-3 supplements sold at the store. VKM further recommends researching the health effects of decomposition products and oxidation products.
– VKM recommends that the methods used to determine quality and rarity on the content of omega-3 supplements are reviewed and improved. VKM also recommends that more knowledge about shelf life be obtained at the store and home of the consumer of encapsulated omega-3 supplements.
Source: www. vkm. no
20 ways to reduce the salt content of the food
The fingers reveal you
Omega-3 is the best-selling health food product in Norway, and there are many different fish oil products to choose from.
The quality of the products is different, and research has shown that more omega-3 products contain harnesses.
But how do you know that the tear and omega-3 capsule is not rancid? We give you the tips.
Harmful substances are substances that are formed when marine fats rupture, that is, the fatty acids in the oil oxidize and molecules are formed that taste and smell intensely. Companies that manufacture oils for nutritional supplements are aware that oil can rancid and have processes to prevent this, but the challenge is that the rancidity process can continue after the oil is produced. That is, during the encapsulation, packing, transport and storage of the finished dietary supplement in the shop and home of the consumers.
Depending on what you put in the capsule along with the oil, a lot of chemistry can occur. For example, we know that top-quality oil from a refinery can quickly get poor through unreasonable treatment, “says Gjermund Vogt, researcher at Nofima Research Group at Ås.
He points out that there are many products of Omega-3 that have different quality.
– In Norway there are only a handful of refineries, but there are about 120 fish oil producers on the market. The refineries have good control, but what about all the intermediaries? We know little about what happens on the way from the oil sold from the refinery until it reaches you and me as a consumer, says Vogt.
Researchers are still unaware of how extensive Rare Omega-3 is. In 2010, the report investigated the rudeness of 112 omega-3 products on the Norwegian market.
Vogt, who was part of the research team, said that they only tested half of the products. The products that contained aromas like lemon and tutti frutti could not test.
– The internationally accepted analytical methods only worked on half of the products. We need to find new analytical methods that also work on flavored products, says Vogt.
Of the products they were tested, the result was disappointing.
– Of those tested, only a few satisfied the industry’s own standard, says Vogt.
He emphasizes that industry standards are stricter than EU standards.
Do not know enough
In a report presented in October this year, the Scientific Committee on Food Safety (VKM) expressed some concern about the negative health effects that long-term intake of oxidation products, ie harnesses, in dietary supplements with fish oil may have.
The reason is essentially that you do not know enough about effects on humans, nor do you know how much harassment people get through through omega-3 supplements.
– The Scientific Committee has questioned any long-term effects of oxidation products on humans and that this is not well documented. As of today, we do not know enough to draw conclusions, says Vogt.
Something else that is discussed is whether omega-3 from krill is better than another supplement with omega-3.
The Food Safety Authority oversees the producers of Omega-3 products.
The Line Food Inspectorate emphasizes that, before any action is taken, they must carefully review the VKM report and what it implies.
– Possible measures may be to see whether it is advisable to increase the surveillance frequency with any of the market players. We will also consider whether it is appropriate to change the regulatory framework. But we must spend time on the report before we choose the way forward, “says Ruden.
Vogt wonder what this really means.
– What does it help to increase the surveillance frequency if the methods used only work on half of the products that are on the market, he asks.
Do not stop eating fish oil
Vogt and the Rude emphasize that people by all means do not have to cut out the contribution of omega-3.
The worst thing that can happen is that people stop eating omega 3. Do not stop eating fish oil if you do not eat enough fish. It is the health food product in the world that best documents positive health effects. If people end up, it will have negative consequences like more cardiovascular disease, says Vogt.
– There is no indication that we get in us rancid drugs in quantities that are dangerous to consumers, “says Ruden in Mattilsynet.
– The positive effects are greater than the negative from what we know now, confirms Vogt.
Omega-3 protects against cardiovascular disease. Additionally, omega-3 affects the hormones that control fat storage so that omega-3 helps to burn fat.
– Today, Norway is researching the effects of rancid fish oil on humans, and the industry itself has taken the initiative, says Vogt.
He says there is continuous work on making better and better fish oils, as well as studies in cellular systems to look at effects of fish oil.
– I’m also sure that there will be new studies on humans to get a better mapping of the importance of harry fish oils on health, says Vogt.
Here are the tips to help prevent you from getting harry omega-3 products:
1. Fish oil should normally have a mild taste. Taste the oil.
2. Also capsules can be tasted. Knock a capsule in two, and taste the content. It keeps tasting a capsule in a glass.
3. A glass of omega-3 capsules should not smell anything. At least it should not smell old tears.
4. Unless you generally carve a lot and are bothered by reflux, you should not gulip transmact after a spoonful or omega-3 capsules. Are you still raping oil, change the mark.
5. Do not choose flavored products. Lemon or tutti-frutti flavor conceals a possible taste of rancidity.
6. There is no known connection between price and quality. Choose products from famous Norwegian refineries and manufacturers. There are many Omega-3 brands with different seriousness.
7. Stay away from products that drive excessive advertising for all the effects it will have. Omega-3 protects primarily against cardiovascular disease. Besides, we know too little about what happens when mixing omega-3 with much different.
Source: Gjermund Vogt, researcher at the research group Nofima.
Click here and follow Click Health on Facebook
Sign up for our newsletter and receive weekly updates by email
– 3500 analyzes a year
– There is little knowledge about oxidized omega-3 products, and hopefully the VKM report will lead to more research and clinical studies on the subject. We have a self-imposed requirement for the level of oxidation of tears and fish oil that is significantly stricter than current standards, “says Kristina Johansen, information manager at Allexus.
They provide several dietary supplements and health products, including Möller’s Tran, and Möller’s, Pikasol and Triomar Fish Oil Capsules..
Johansen emphasizes that each supply of raw materials is carefully controlled in terms of rancidity, purity, appearance, texture and omega-3 content, both on arrival to stock and before being taken into production.
– We conduct 3500 analyzes each year to check the level of occupation of our products, she says.
Johansen disagrees that the consumer must break an omega-3 capsule to check if the product is rancid.
– Capsules with a concentration of about 60 percent omega-3 fatty acids will not taste good for most of us, even if the oil is fresh. Many people who choose to eat capsules with fish oil rather than liquid omega-3 supplements basically do it because they think the oil tastes bad, regardless of whether it’s rancid or fresh, she says.
Omega-3 bread gets dice six in big test
Check if you drink too much water
How to get rid of homeroids
Everything about low carb