So much can cholesterol fall in two months.
Did you know that the biggest effect on the risk of cardiovascular disease is to go from being sedentary to moving just a little more?
Important, influential, risk factors for cardiovascular disease are high blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
It’s a myth that one has to exercise every day and live on a diet to reduce your values, claiming the experts.
– Small changes, such as replacing beef dough with carbonate dough, replace the fatest food with leaner products, cut down on candy and soda intake, and move one more time a week can have a big effect on both your cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar levels, “says a physician at Lipid Clinic, and Professor of Nutrition Sciences at the University of Oslo, Kjetil Retterstøl.
Small changes are effective
Retterstøls clinical experience from Lipid Clinic and people with elevated cholesterol levels is that dietary changes can reduce cholesterol levels by anywhere from 5-50% in 1-2 months, depending on the baseline.
– For those who eat very well from before, there is not much to do, while with others there may be many useful tips to give, says Retterstøl.
This check should take you from the age of 20
This food can be fatal
Kaare Bønaa, Chief of Intervention Cardiology at the Cardiovascular Clinic at St. Olavs hospital and professor of cardiovascular and epidemiology at NTNU, believes the focus should be on physical activity and smoking cessation.
– Cholesterol levels and blood pressure levels decrease with physical activity. Those who are considerably overweight should also lose weight, but one does not have to be “great thought”, says Bønaa.
According to the Directorate-General’s latest recommendations for physical activity, about 20 minutes of daily activity are “faster pulse than normal” or, alternatively, 75 minutes of weekly activity that results in “much faster pulse than normal” that is needed to maintain good health and prevent life-threatening diseases.
The activities should also include strength training twice a week.
Several studies have shown that the biggest percentage effect on cardiovascular risk is if you go from being sedentary to moving a little, sometimes a week. Too many, however, are the biggest obstacle to get out of the couch.
Good news on the food front
If you want to exercise, but get sweated by the thought of going to the fitness center, NPT and mental training for the Mykjemeir Lysaker fitness center, Christopher B. Spicer, his advice to pack the training into pleasant experiences.
The motivation to work out can also be trained!
– My experience is that it’s easier to work out if you are socializing with friends, family or colleagues. Several of our customers can tell about monthly sports tournaments in the workplace, such as squash tournaments. As a positive ring effect, it is also noted that workplace co-operation is improving, Spicer says.
It is individual how to motivate an active lifestyle.
Spicer tells about a 52-year-old customer who, two years ago, was informed that his physical age was 80 years. However, his motivation to start the exercise was not that the doctor told him he would, but that he would manage to play with his grandchildren.
– We started training together twice a week, and then he went for a family trip in the weekend. He quickly realized that he became more obvious and got a higher energy level than before. After a gradual escalation of his training, his physical age is now in line with his right age, says Spicer, who praises the customer’s new attitude; Now priority is given to training in the same way as important board meetings.
Check if you have abnormal heartbeat
10. 000 may have familial hypercholesterolemia without knowing it
The grip that protects against heartbreak
– In general, it is important to start small, low intensity and light-weight activities. If you start hard hard it is easy to incur damage that can quickly give a motivational knee, encourages Spicer.
You can not know the body if the values are high
In order to reduce high cholesterol, blood pressure and blood glucose levels, one should first of all know if elevated values. Retterstøl understands that for many people there is a high threshold to seek medical attention if you feel well.
However, you can not know your body if your cholesterol is high, and often if your blood pressure and your blood sugar are high. Therefore, it is important to have measured these risk factors even if you feel well, says professor and chief physician Kjetil Retterstøl.
American and European Guidelines Recommend You Measure Your Values For Risk Factors By 20-40 Years Of Ages. This is Bønaa’s agreement.
– Basically, I think you should know your cholesterol and blood pressure levels already in your 18-20 years. The development of arteriosclerosis in the coronary arteries begins early in adulthood. It is therefore important that people with particularly high risk can start preventive treatment as early as possible, “says Bønaa.
Pharmacy offers cholesterol measurements
How to reduce your values without medication?
It is a fact that a healthy and nutritious diet together with physical activity and smoking cessation reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease. Some specific advice, however, is important in reducing the level of single factors.
Blood Pressure: High blood pressure can be prevented and reduced with less stress and a diet with less salt. Exercise is also very important / good to reduce blood pressure. If you are overweight, a couple of kilos of weight may also have a beneficial effect on your blood pressure. Large consumers of liquorice should reduce this.
Blood sugar: A healthy diet with low sugar combined with increased and regular exercise will significantly improve your long-term blood glucose level..
Cholesterol: The “good” HDL cholesterol should not be too low. On the other hand, total cholesterol and the “bad” LDL cholesterol should be low. You can better your values by preferring to choose foods with healthy, unsaturated fat and exercise regularly.
Triglycerides: These are fatty substances in your blood that increase after a meal. Sugar and alcohol get triglycerides to rise, so you should limit the intake of this if you have high triglycerides.
(Sources: Lipid Clinic by Chief Physician Kjetil Retterstøl, Directorate of Health: National Guidelines for Individual Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease)
Cholesterol, fats in the blood, blood pressure and blood sugar can be measured at the GP. Now, measurements of total cholesterol have also become a permanent service in Boot’s pharmacy.
This service will be free in week 37 during the “Big Checking Day” campaign.. The campaign is part of a research study at the University of Oslo, focusing on the importance of knowing its cholesterol level.
Bønaa believes that the laymen have better basis for advising on how to measure measurement values, compared to pharmacies.
– What treatment is taken depends not only on the cholesterol value but also by other risk factors such as blood pressure, obesity, smoking habits and hereditary factors. This information does not have the pharmacy, Bønaa believes.
Chief physician Retterstøl, on the other hand, believes that it is a sensible measure for public health to study the effect that pharmacies have such low-threshold offers as well as raise awareness of heart health.
– It is estimated at about 150. 000 people go with diabetes without knowing about it, and tens of thousands have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. It’s stupid to go with high risk undiscovered for a long time. After a few months, many discover how little is needed to get better value and then it is nice to see satisfied people come to control, “says Renterstøl.
Eat well and go down one kilo every week
– Do not Deny Carbohydrates
Is it easy to drink light brown?