The consequences can be serious.
We often associate the word stress with time clicks, but most people still agree that a certain amount of pressure is good for reaching deadlines and goals.
However, there are major differences in how much pressure each person needs or can withstand before it is perceived as negative, says coach of Canicoaching, Ingrid Husan.
When you get to that point, it does not feel good anymore.
Then you feel powerless and get the feeling of not stretching.
Too much and too little
Stress can therefore be positive when we feel challenged and ready to take on a task.
Then we know that the adrenaline is coming and that stress is a positive energy when we are going to do the task.
Too little pressure is not necessarily the good either.
– If the pressure is too small, it can also be stressful. Negative stress is simply about being out of our flight zone, Husan believes.
Whether the pressure is too big or too little for us to perform and thrive best.
– The result is that we feel discouraged and hampered by problems and challenges.
And that stress is a growing problem, most people are aware of.
Symptoms of too much stress
- Muscle pain, especially in the neck and shoulders
- Repeated colds / infections
- Heartburn and Sore Shock
- High blood pressure
- Concentration Failure
- Inferior job performance in quality and quantity
Source: Psychological stress counselor Linn Anette Solberg
This can be the consequences if you do not take the signals seriously
Immune system weakens
Then you get easier to cool or get other infectious diseases.
Rare times, some cancers, depending on the immune system’s strength, can also get better and start to grow by stress.
When stressed, you tighten your muscles more and in the long run it can cause muscle and skeletal disorders such as aching muscles, tendons and joints.
Stress can lead to increased blood pressure and make you more exposed to heart disease and strokes.
Source: Stress Researcher Are Holen.
Adult stresses, youth stresses and we even hear about children who are stressing so much that they need help to relax.
The reason why someone fails to calm down by activity is physiological. Prolonged overload and stress have gradually caused these people to have an imbalance in the body, and this results in, among other things, the stress component of the nervous system continues to be activated even after the stress should actually be terminated. This makes it more difficult to calm down and get adequate restitution, says psychological stress counselor Linn Anette Solberg.
The body continues to be activated, and even when the night comes, one is struggling to relax.
You may have trouble falling asleep, waking up several times during the night or very early the next morning.
– The engine continues to go and as the days pass, the shoulders are pulled higher and higher towards the ears. In the most serious cases, the person simply does not manage to relax but continues on high. This goes beyond the ability to retrieve again – both in the short and long term, she explains.
You may continue to work after working hours, and when the job is done, continue with other tasks.
– You may not be allowed to settle down before eleven o’clock in the evening, and then expect the body to settle down once. But without breaks during the day, it can be harder to land in the evening, she says.
If activation persists over time, it may become chronic.
– This does not mean that it will be so forever, but it means that this imbalance in the body becomes prolonged.
Different human types
How much we stress varies a lot.
Some people get stressed while others are quieter by nature.
However, there are some who are not known to be stressed but can still be burned because they come in a sustained situation that gradually tears them out, “says Solberg..
An early sign of burnout may be that the concentration fails. In general, some human types are more vulnerable than others.
Are you a perfectionist, you are at risk, and the same applies if you have low self-esteem.
– Then you would like to try to compensate by doing too much. But in spite of unremitting efforts, it’s never enough to feel good, she continues.
Everyone has a limit
– Others are boundless in another way. Instead of fear, their efforts and dedication are illusory. Some of them simply run too hard because they are having fun for example with the studies or at work, she says.
From time to time it can be hard to see it, but no matter how fun we are, then we all have a limit.
– Others are boundless because they are driven by bad consciences. In other words, one can both be driven by something negative and something positive.
The first characters
– The first signs of stressing too much are the increased incidence of wrong reactions in the way that you forget about obvious things you should have remembered and that you work for a long time without getting so much more for that reason, says Stress Researcher and Professor Emeritus at NTNU, Are Holen.
Other signs of stress may be
- Short temper and bad mood
- Drinking more alcohol or using other stimuli
- Heart Bank and increasing blood pressure
- Declining concentration
- Appetite change
- Creativity lack
- Anxious Breath
- Uncomfortable and worrying
- Inability to think rationally and make decisions
Source: Coach Ingrid Husan
You are particularly vulnerable to stress if you
- is a perfectionist
- Have low self esteem
- is boundless (or think so)
Source: Psychological stress counselor Linn Anette Solberg
He confirms that it takes a lot of time for such signs to occur.
– When you get stressed and to what extent it gets, varies greatly from person to person, he says.
This tolerance also varies somewhat with the form of day and what life phase you are in, and younger ones tend to have greater stress tolerance than older.
Can be trained
How well you can work with will also affect your stress.
You are less stressed with what you can and what you think is bright-minded.
– In addition, what load you have in your daily life will affect you. Are you charged with other areas of life, such as family illness and financial worries, you are often less likely to go on? “.
The cave further explains that stress tolerance can be increased to some extent during exercise, as well as good recreational habits such as sports, meditation, yoga, good conversations or through good switches between duty activity and light activity during the day or week.
Interpret the signals
Often the stress problem grows well before you get it.
You may ignore the signals for several years, either because you have learned from role models or because you have become so.
However, the body says when it is enough, so if you are aware and interpret the signals, it is possible to avoid being burned out, “says Solberg..
The signs can, for example, be physical in the form of pain or mental because you do not work as well as before.
– When these symptoms come, many of us are easy to think we should only sharpen. However, if the background to the symptoms is overload and prolonged stress, it can only continue to push oneself worse. Instead, you must stop, pick up and learn from what has happened.
Husan says that in coaching you often work to chart what is stress and what is stressful.
10 tips for you who are highly sensitive
What situations or actions make the disorder of life, and in which situations does the sensation of stress occur long before the action and lasts long after the action is taken?
– And when does one experience things popping up and thinking and focusing on something other than one? It is important to get acquainted with your own thought and action pattern about positive and negative stress. It may be liberating and clarifying to discover that one can change the pattern of reaction and perhaps also reassess themselves, “she says..
Solberg believes that learning to be more realistic is the most important.
Many will do much more than they actually do, but what most stresses us is not what we do, but what we do not get done.
It is therefore important to make a conscious assessment and prioritize.
– For example, if you have a lecture and know that time is not reaching out, do not drop sleep to get everything done. You should either cut down on the scale or let the quality be any worse than you would ideally wish it was, “she says.
Should your body have the opportunity to calm down when you go to bed every night, do not let the body go steadily in high heels, but take time to some downtime during the day.