Symptoms of chronic heart failure.
Increases risk of heart attack and stroke
Facts about chronic heart failure
In heart failure, the heart’s ability to pump blood to the rest of the body is reduced. It causes heavy breathing, fatigue, palpitation, fluid accumulation and swelling of the body because the blood supply of some organs becomes too bad.
Both sexes are hit, but heart failure occurs ten years earlier in men than in women. The risk of heart failure increases with age – about 75 percent of heart failure patients are over 75 years old.
About 75 percent of all heart failure is due to previous heart attack or high blood pressure. Heart failure is treated with lifestyle changes and drugs. The prognosis is determined by the patient’s age and gender, the cause of heart failure and how much damage it is to the heart.
Source: The heelseksikon. no
Kari Tangstad (56) believed the exhausting fatigue and the heavy breath was just a retrospective of divorce.
Fortunately, she met a doctor who took her seriously.
– Only it’s discovered early, you can live a good and active life even if you get a diagnosis that sounds terrible scare they out. Even I have been lucky in the unfortunate. I came to a doctor who took my symptoms to the utmost seriousness. It’s important, because otherwise it’s not good to say how it would be, says Kari to the weekly magazine Home.
Even with medical attention, it became a lot of drama for a period
– But now I’m confident that this will be fine. I have heart failure, but live completely normal. I’m driving a motorcycle, riding a snowboard, walking with the dogs, working and having really eaten.
Kari Tangstad smiles gently. We are at her home at Nøtterøy, outside Tønsberg.
She lives in a detached house together with a foster son and three street dummies. Beautiful creatures that nobody would have – not until Kari came and pampered over them. So if the heart does not work perfectly, then it’s big and hot anyway.
Awakening “Done Worn”
Karis problems began in the fall of 2008. She, who had always had a lot of energy, suddenly became so terribly tired.
It is up to your doctor to assess whether you are ill or “just tired”.
– I have always had steel health and did not even think I could be ill. I had been divorced some time earlier and had my life turned upside down. It was probably just a retrospective of this, about being alone with three children, having to start working again, I thought.
But when it did not work, as I continued to wake up as exhausted as when I left, no matter how much I slept, when all of it became an energy, I thought my body probably lacked something.
Thus she loosens all that advertisement said she might need.
– Q10. Shark cartilage. Magnetic plates under the bed. You name it …
When fatigue had been so long that she had become accustomed to wake “done tired”, as she said, the mouthbreak also came. Then Kari went to the doctor. But he did not find anything wrong. Believed that it had only become too much for her.
– I experienced that I was not heard. And afterwards I changed my doctor. I think maybe he was a bit tired of sick people, “she said.
Heart rate of 30
A winter on idle. Thus, Kari describes the time that followed.
You can regulate blood pressure without medication
Symptoms of Chronic Heart Failure:
- Heavy Breath
- Bad appetite
- Heart Bank
- Breathing problems on flat bedside
- High Heart Rate
- Reduced physical performance
- Weight Increase
- Fluid build
Source: The heelseksikon. no
– If I knew what I know today, I should have gone further, required to be further investigated. Because no one will go with the symptoms I had for a long time without seeking help from someone who’s capable of giving it.
She even helped the backdoor, as she says herself. A friend of a friend was a hospital.
– When I told him I was not breathing and I was constantly exhausted, he thought it was cause for concern. When he measured my pulse at 30 bpm, he made sure to get into the hospital in Tønsberg. And there they found out. I had heart failure. It is a disease characterized by the heart, for various reasons, not having the power to pump enough blood around the body.
Kari diagnosed the diagnosis. She felt well looked after and thought that this would go well.
She got pacemaker operated, the heart rate was adjusted to the correct level and she got the necessary medication. Thus, the body began to function again. And Kari was relieved.
But it should not last so long.
A feeling of drowning on land
A few months after she got into the pacemaker, Kari was on a visit to friends in Havna on Tjøme. There were many stairs up and she was wearing heavy bags.
Then the dreadful heavy breath came to bake.
Inside the cabin, I felt that there was not enough air in the room. I had to go out. Outside – surrounded by swabs and with fresh air enough to a whole world, I felt terrible: I did not breathe!
– It was as if I drowned – on land. At the moment, I felt the panic.
But fortunately, not so long. Kari bake to Tønsberg and the hospital. There they now found the cause of heart failure. She had a leak in a heart valve. Therefore, the heart did not pump enough blood around. It had led to water in the lungs and hence the dreadful feeling of drowning.
– Installing a pacemaker without repairing the fault can be compared to completely unscrewing a tap on a bad seal. It works badly, says Kari. She was transported in an ambulance from Tønsberg to Rikshospitalet.
Currently from the Helseconcept. no:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- High metabolism
- Low metabolism
- Heart failure
- Heart Attack
Here are the numbers you need to know about your body
The chest opened and a mechanical heart valve was inserted. Kari folds up the sweater and shows us the scar.
It goes from the collar and down. It’s not pretty. But it does not matter. She breathes fine again. That’s the only thing that matters.
– The operation was great and it was not quite good afterwards, but I came out of this too without fear. I have understood that everyone does not, she says.
Father died of myocardial infarction
Kari has gone to heart school and learned a lot about a heart-healthy diet. She has taken several steps to keep the heart – and the rest of the body – as fresh as possible, as long as possible.
– I start the day with a cup of lemon water with ginger and honey, eat the most clean raw materials, go daily trips and have of course stumped the smoke. Besides, I take both blood thinning pills and low blood pressure.
For a long time I also took cholesterol lowering, but these tolerated the body badly. Moreover, lifestyle changes helped to get cholesterol, which turned out to be too high, down to an ok level, says Kari.
Karis father died of a heart attack just 60 years old.
Even she feels lucky to have received such help and follow-up. At the heart school she learned the importance of not becoming a “heart role”, one who uses heart disease as an excuse for not being active.
She has also learned that it is not dangerous if the pacemaker strikes occasionally or the breathing problems are sporadic. It can be daunting, but now she can take it easy. And then it goes over.
– So I’m not going around and afraid of the heart. Then you limit your life. It’s like being bitter. It just goes beyond you, she says.
The most important thing you can do yourself:
Take care of your blood pressure! Despite the fact that 100,000 suffer from heart failure in Norway, there is generally little knowledge of this disease among most people..
Do you recognize stroke?
A major survey conducted in 2014 showed that less than 10 percent of the population had knowledge about the symptoms associated with heart failure.
Contrast to an ever-increasing awareness of other heart disease such as infarction, stroke and flicker.
– Perhaps the reason is that the symptoms of heart failure are easy to confuse with other disorders, says head of department at the National Association for Heart and Lung disease, Inger Elling.
She says that heart failure occurs when the heart’s pumping capacity over time does not work well enough. When pumping decreases, more blood is left in the blood vessels of the lungs. This causes the pressure in the blood vessels to grow higher and that fluid can spread into the lung tissue.
– It again causes you to get sick. And wheezing and fatigue are the most common symptoms to be alerted to – and seek medical attention, says Inger Elling.
Two types of heart failure
There are two types of heart failure. An acute form and a chronic form of heart failure.
She was 35 years old, well-behaved, smoke-free and without heart disease in the family
– The acute is often associated with an infarction. The chronic, which is the most common, can occur due to high blood pressure over time, arteriosclerosis, rhythm disturbance, flap defect and a metabolism that does not work normally.
– The most important thing you can do to prevent the disease is to keep your blood pressure under control. Get it checked by a doctor on a regular basis, be careful about salt intake, have a heart-healthy diet generally, avoid overweight and stay in physical activity, Elling advises.
There are many degrees of heart failure and the disease is serious. However, the vast majority of people who are affected can still live a normal life without much limitations.
However, insecurity and anxiety are a common companion. Therefore, it’s important to have someone to chat with and seek advice from. At many of the country’s hospitals, heart failure policymakers have now been established for support and support, says Inger Elling.